Okay, so I am still getting used to this whole blogging thing. This last week I haven't written a thing, partially because I have been busy, but primarily because I haven't a clue what to write. The whole grad school student life...kinda dull.
However true that is, there is something that I have been learning about lately that I am really enjoying. As I said in my first post, I am interning in a project called the poetry lab, so in order to do this well I am trying to submerse myself in the culture of poetry...I am reading it, writing it, learning about how it is used in therapy, as well as how it is used to educate others on what is going on in the world.
Tonight, I watched a short video on spoken word. Called "The Poetry Lounge: self expression through the spoken word". These people speak elequently, using rhythms, rhymes, alliterations, repetition, and intonations in ways that caused me to sit up and listen to all they had to say. Their messages dealt with issues such as racism, sense of self,community,& body-image. It was all so powerful, and inspirational. Causing me to reflect on the power of words. I mean, I use words everyday...however do I use them in a way that encourages, inspires, &/or challeges people like the words I heard tonight do?
So those are my thoughts. If you want more info on spoken word/poetry here are a few sights to check out
Poetic License
Minnesota Spoken Word Association
Poetry Slam, Inc.
2 comments:
I can help you out with the link thing when you get a chance...it's even easier than putting links in the template - all you have to do is click a button!
Hi friend... glad you see you back. Thanks for the links- I'll check them out!
Post a Comment