Friday, January 27, 2006

Beady Little Eyes

Last year, there was a coffee shop in Minneapolis that we would often frequent on our study group nights that often showcases photography or painting by local artists. There was one photographer who took all these pictures of squirrels. Some were close ups...others were a little further away. None the less I couldn't sit directly under or across from the photos because the squirrels really freaked me out with their beady little eyes.

Then in August, Amy and I moved to Minneapolis. The townhome complex that we live in has a large squirrel population. I think it has something to do with the fact that some of our neighbors have squirrel feeders and such. These squirrels didn't seem to bother me when we first moved in. I actually found myself intrigued by this one albino squirrel that is always around. This changed however Wednesday morning when I was leaving for work and was nearly attacked by a squirrel (not the albino one).

He was standing outside my back door eating some food off a wrapper. When I opened the door I was startled because he was sitting so close to where I was standing. But then I just figured he would go away. But he didn't. Instead he got closer...and closer...and even closer. He was mere inches from my foot. I told him to go away but that just spurred him on, and he started to move his hand closer to my foot. I was so flustered at this point that I was struggling to lock my door, and was trying to decide if I should go back inside and wait for him to leave. But then I thought...what if he got inside? That would be even worse. So I finshed locking the door and ran (literally sprinted) to my car. I threw my stuff into the car and looked outside and he wasn't there. So I got out to scrape my windsheild and a few seconds later I looked over and there the squirrel was again. I verbally told him to not even think about coming closer...and this time he listened. But I am still kinda freaked out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds traumatic!

Amy said...

The albino one really freaks me out...Normally I wouldn't think to be scared of a squirrel, but this past summer, I was sitting with Kari in her back yard before they moved and there was a squirrel in the tree right next to us literally hissing at Claude. We both thought that the squirrel was going to attack the cat at any moment. I was convinced that it was evil!